Tiago Garcia is a technical leader with 10 years of experience in full-stack software development, software architecture, web performance and agile methodologies. Throughout his career, he has acted as an evangelist for code quality, unit tests, and collaboration, and has trained teams with diverse skillsets in front-end, back-end, and agile practices.
Tiago is currently a Technical Manager at Avenue Code in San Francisco, after helping to launch the company’s Belo Horizonte office, where he was the first employee in Brazil. Nowadays, he leads 3 development teams at Macys.com, where his achievements include cutting page load time in half, a loosely-coupled component-based architecture, and close to 100% unit test code coverage.
Tiago’s published body of work includes more than a dozen articles in magazines and forums such as InfoQ, AirPair, and Java Magazine. He has spoken at several major conferences internationally, and regularly presents at meetups and corporate trainings.
Tiago holds a postgraduate degree in Distributed Software Architecture from PUC Minas and a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science from UNIFEI.
His certifications include:
- Sun Certified Web Component Developer for the Java 2 Platform, Enterprise Edition 5.0 (SCWCD)
- Sun Certified Programmer for the Java 2 Platform, Standard Edition 5.0 (SCJP)
Previous conference speaking engagements:
- 2013: “Boosting the client-side with Backbone.js” - DevDay
- 2014: “Backbone.js Tricks or Treats” - HTML5DevConf
- 2016: “Lazy Loading ES2015 modules in the browser” - Front End Design Conf, DevCon5, Abstractions